Callaghan Creek Race
July 20, 2013
The fourth annual Callaghan Race is happening on July 20th, 2013. After a careful analysis of the southwest BC snowpack (about normal), the date is one weekend earlier than previous years to ensure solid flows in the river. Get ready for one of the best whitewater races on the west coast! Keep your eyes on this page for more details on the race, the party (new location!) and a Friday evening solo time trial down the Upper Cheak where any boat goes.
For some information about previous races, click this link.
The Callaghan Creek Race is a 2 man team, timed race down the full length of Callaghan Creek in Whistler, BC. To read more about the river, see some photos or to email questions/intent to race to the organizers please see the following links:
- The race is a 2 man team race.
- The race starts at 5pm - you are responsible for showing up at the start line at this time.
- Registration is the day of the race - sign up between 11am-3pm at the take out parking lot.
- Competitors must attend a pre-race meeting at 3:30pm.
- Boats are limited to modern creek boats.
- Prior experience on the Callaghan is absolutely mandatory. We can refuse entry into the race at our discretion.
- All competitors must have personal safety gear on hand at the race - throw rope, float bags, pin kit etc. are mandatory.
- In the event of unsafe water levels on the course, the race will be moved to the Upper Cheak at the organizers discretion.
- Volunteers are always appreciated to help with all aspects of the race.
- Time keepers at the put in and take out are needed.
- Anyone comfortable paddling the Callaghan is welcome to set safety along the course.
- Please sign up between 11am-3pm, or contact us beforehand if you would like to help out.
- The Callaghan waterfalls are accessible to spectators via a moderately strenuous trail leaving from the road to the old put in. Access to the old put in was closed in late 2012.
- It takes about 40-60 minutes to hike in to the waterfalls - the most exciting portion of the course.
- Give yourself at least 90 minutes before the race starts to reach the river - you don't want to miss the action.
- Camping is available at the take out (Cal-Cheak Campsite) for $10/car/night.
- New in 2013, the after party will be held at 'the cabin' - a beautiful property on Nita Lake in Creekside.
- The awards will be awarded at the after party some time in the evening after everyone has a chance to regroup.
- The guys who live at the cabin are generously letting us have the party there - treat the place with some respect!
Updated April 29, 2013